Wednesday, October 1, 2014

AUTUMN: CUTTING WOOD

You know, most any time is good for cutting wood, but I'd prefer not to cut in the summer (too hot) and the spring is pretty mushy with lots of ticks (and you know my trouble with ticks), and usually the snow is too deep in the winter. So that leaves the autumn season:  the temps are good, the ticks have subsided, travel in the woods is convenient because it is not too wet, and one begins to think about burning wood. We're cutting wood now for the 2015/16 winter. It needs a year to cure and dry.

Late yesterday afternoon, Karol called to show me a doe that was walking through our back yard on her way to the apple tree. We were able to watch her for a while. Sadly, the picture I took didn't turn out, but it was fun to watch the deer.

Rob supplies all the saws, gas and oil and I provide the lunch. Usually we fill Rob's truck and his trailer and also my truck. It's about a three hour work day (that's about all we can handle).

I pick up Rob's splitter and pull it back into the woods...sure beats splitting wood by hand.

On the way home, I stopped to take a picture or two of the beautiful maples.

Home and ready to unload. There's a big cherry chunk in the top front. Later this afternoon, I began to cut out several bowls.

The weather was so nice this afternoon, so Karol and I caught up on the day's activities as we sat at the patio table. I thought you'd all like to see a shot of Sarge.

No comments:

Post a Comment