Saturday, February 8, 2014

A COUPLE NEW BOWLS

Not doing much else, so I thought I would post today's bowls.

The left bowl is a shallow 4.5 inch candy dish made out of maple from our Iola property. The bowl on the right is a 7.5 inch cherry burl. If I have to say so myself, it did turn our really nice.
A burl is a knot-like appendage that grows out of a limb. A burl results from a tree undergoing some form of stress. It may be caused by an injury, virus or fungus.The largest burl ever found was on a redwood tree and measured 26 feet.
This burl came from our Iola property. I've had it stored away for some 5 or 6 years, at first, not (knot) knowing what to do with it, and then, waiting until I gained enough skill in wood turning so that I would'n waste it. I have a few more burls to turn. IF YOU EVER FIND A BURL, OR SOMEONE BY CHANCE OFFERS YOU ONE, DON'T TURN IT DOWN. I'LL TURN IT!!!!

1 comment: