Friday, December 20, 2013

AN UNBELIEVEABLE SIGHT!

Today, I am submitting my 301st post since I first began in late 2010. It;s hard to believe that so much has been put online - primarily, so that you could enjoy with me the blessings of God through the lens of my camera.

Tonight I am posting some pictures of the Christmas tree that proudly stands in the middle of the town square in Stevens Point, Wisconsin. I had read in the Stevens Point Journal that Pastor Andy and students from Peace were on hand to light the tree (a week or so ago). After seeking additional information about that event, I discovered that this tree is very special to me.

The tree was one that I had planted in the Peace backyard in 1987. Friends, that was 26 years ago. When I dug the hole and planted that tree, it must only have been about 12 inches tall. The area where it grew does receive lots of good moisture. And God made it grow. I'm thankful that God could use me in a very small way so that our city/county could be blessed with such a wonderful tree.

We even made the South Dakota news. And from son Matthew comes this comment, "What a great memory of that tree! I remember watering it after you planted it, 26 years ago, whoa!


Judge for yourselves:

The tree is located right in the middle of the town square in Stevens Point.
Approaching Main St. (the downtown artery) from the east, looking to the square. During the warmer months, the square welcomes vegetable and flower vendors and lots of children who enjoy playing in the multi-nozzled fountain.
The tree at night is even more impressive than during the daylight hours.
Across the highway from our home is Tomeks Tavern. Our former neighbors, Chet and Florence, owned the bar for 19 years. For the past 9 years, Wayne, a wonderful neighbor, has operated the bar. Because of family responsibilities, Wayne will be selling the bar hopefully at the turn of the year.

Lee and Pat, our newest neighbors to the west, graced their home with a creche.

MAY JESUS BLESS YOUR CELEBRATION OF HIS BIRTH; AND MAY THE NEW YEAR BRING YOU MANY OPPORTUNITIES TO SERVE JESUS BY SERVING OTHERS.

SELFIES ARE IN! We tried a few shots, and this is the best we could come up with. But, at least, we're in with the crowd who have found selfies the way to go. Our wishes and prayers come to you from our well-worn couch!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Dad! What a great memory of that tree! I remember watering it after you planted it, 26 years ago, whoa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://www.ktiv.com/story/23972066/2013/11/14/stevens-point-officials-start-decking-the-halls

      Delete