Sunday, October 28, 2012

October 28th



This was my big speaking opportunity at the Jiang Men Christian Church where Pastor Jimmy is the senior pastor. Worship began at 9 with a praise team leading 4 songs; the apostles creed, prayer, a one hour message by Pastor Joshua, my sharing with Hilda translating (I kind of tossed my script and went free lance – much to the benefit of the presentation); communion, offering, song, benediction. The service went about two hours.

I will lead a communion worship for the three male GEO’s at 12 noon when the English school closes. I preprinted a service that I could use with small groups. I may have another group like that in Shenzhen. Brogan taught classes all morning. Both Saturday and Sunday are the prime English language days.

After worship, Lily, Hilda, Brogan and I went for lunch to a restaurant that specializes in Macau (Portuguese) food. I ended up eating something that tasted and looked Korean  – in a hot pot. Seems like you can never adequately translate one culture’s food into another culture. All the rest had finished their lunch before I was served mine.

Brogan took me to his fruit stand and egg shop. Both are located in a large open market where meat, veggies, fruit, spices, and paper goods are sold. You could tell by the smells what part of the market you were in: a chicken coop smell meant eggs and a slaughter house meant fresh meat.

Would you know, Brogan lives on the 13th floor. Nothing unlucky about that. He has a wonderful view of the Jiang Men River. Trees line the shore. Boats ply the waters. Lovers frequent the bench lined shores.

Tonight is “English Corner” at Xin Hua Church, one of the satellite congregations of Jiang Men church. 

Believe or not we're already there

Brogan and Caleb, treasurer of the Enlish school

Brogan and translator, Lily


Kids enjoy hotdogs here too

Old and new contrast in building construction here

The Jiang Men river bank

No comments:

Post a Comment