Saturday, October 27, 2012

THE BEGINNING OF A NEW JOURNEY..........



 (I stayed in the same apartment as my Feb/March stay in Hong Kong. The poster still graced the wall, only this time with the real McCoy.)

The beginning of a new journey starts with one brave step. 

I’m not sure that I knew what I was getting into when I agreed to take a second mission trip to Asia this year. During my trip to work in elementary schools in Feb/Mar of this year, I had spoken with Joel and Sharon (reps here in Hong Kong) about returning for a second trip. I have lots of energy; love Chinese food; probably don’t act my age; and my heart is all about serving (not at all bragging about this), so I decided to return, AND they told me I was welcome to return.

As plans for this trip fleshed out, I started getting a bit nervous. Teaching in several places where Brothers and Sisters gather, Standing in front of Sunday assemblies speaking a message (twice via English and once via translator). Visiting homes and factories with Shepherd Jimmy, and sharing with Brogan Albers (UWSP grad and formerly an active Peace person) some of his English classes. Well, English classes I’ve done plenty before, but the Word stuff makes me a bit nervous. I know that my Father stands with me here, so I have now come to the point where I am living rather confidently, trusting that “Father knows best.”

All along, I had intended to take the non-stop flight from Detroit to Hong Kong, but, sadly that flight was cancelled about a month ago. So instead of the 15 hours that flight took, I added several hours to the journey with a stop in Tokyo. Oh well, 11 hours in one plane without stopping is long enough. With personalized screens (each seat has its own monitor), one can see more than 30+ different movies, listen to a variety of music, or play a dozen different “computer” games. It’s a bit more individualized giving passengers far more options.

I arrived in Hong Kong at 11:00 pm, got picked up by Eric (a new GEO in Hong Kong – although he spent a year in Jiangmen), taxied to his apartment for a short sleep, and then tomorrow will leave here at 7 am for the ferry terminal in central Hong Kong to catch the non-stop ferry to Jiangmen. There I’ll be met by Hilda, a fine sister whom I’ve worked with before. She will be my guide and translator for the first part of my journey, until next Thursday when I leave by bus for Shenzhen.

Oct. 27

Big mistake easily corrected this morning. Eric brought me to the ferry terminal by taxi. He helped purchase the ticket and then pointed out the boarding area. I entered the area and, along with hundreds of others, waited for my ferry. A bit tough to read the schedule, but finally figured it out., and without further problem got on board the ferry. The front looked empty, so I grabbed a seat in the second row, a place where I would also have room for my luggage. Momentarily, a woman came with tickets looking for what I thought was enough seats for her group. Well, she was looking for the seat numbers, not space. I realized that the number on my ticket was to correspond to the number of the seat where I had placed my body. I was 200+ off. I moved back to seat 218.

Couldn’t believe the number of ferries leaving every 7 to 10 minutes. And I am sure that there are other ferry terminals. We’re on the water gently moving back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. I’ll be fine.

I wasn’t expecting the hot and humid weather here. I stuck my poofy jacket in the suitcase so I didn’t have to carry it. The temperature this morning was 25 degrees centigrade with a humidity of 85%. Karol, you wouldn’t like it at all; it’s like Covington, Louisiana, on an early morning.

Today, meetings with Hilda and Lily, two women who have faithfully serve as guides, translators, and friends over the times I have been here. Shopping for a few basics, getting a cell phone to carry with me, ordering a new pair of glasses, etc. Enjoying the sites and sounds of Jiang Men.

Dumplings for dinner tonight. How so very different this culture than ours back in the States. Crowds, loud! music booming out of stores, littered streets being constantly cleaned by street sweepers, sidewalk (and in the street) stands with food, veggies and fruit, and a plethora of smells, old and new.



(Catching the ferry to Jiang Men. It's a great way to travel as long as the "rock and roll" doesn't bother you.)


 (On our way to lunch, we passed this woman selling grapes and persimmons. This is a common site all over Jiang Men. The stands sell most everything imaginable.)


(I'm always bewildered as to why cultures must emulate other cultures. The mannequins certainly have no resemblance to any Chinese person I know.)

No comments:

Post a Comment