Saturday, November 9, 2013

CHINA (Friday)



 You can't help but love our sisters and brothers in China. I'm always impressed with the smiles.




 


 



 The stem on my alarm clock broke last night so I thought that it would not go off this morning. But it did and I couldn’t figure out how to shut it off. Finally it dawned on me that I could take out the battery and that would end everything. I guess it’s only worth tossing out.

Two of the workers at the church, women in their thirties, met us with the pastor’s car and took us to breakfast at a local noodle shop. A tall, thin man in his 60’s was rolling out dough which a women later cut into noodles; rectangular in shape and long. Much different from the Muslim round noodles. My soup included a slice of beef (the pork had bones with the meat) and was quite spicy – made my lips burn. I assume that the broth was the same for both. Probably cost 75 cents.

I shared my presentation with Michael translating. One older lady volunteer to share and then Michael asked the two “breakfast women” to pair up and share (which they did). Good thing I brought some cranberries along to share as little gifts when people presented. I commented to Michael that the people in local parishes have much less passion than the people at the Bible training center in Nanyang.

It’s hard to believe that this is my last day with Michael. The days have been a whirlwind of activity – a whole lot of listening to a language that I do not speak, but a privileged view of God’s people in China. As Michael leads me to various places and situations, I become more aware of the wonders that God is performing here in China.

The whole 150 people ate lunch here at the church – I was impressed with the variety of food; maybe seven different kinds: pork, chicken, fish, greens, two soups, etc. A rest until 1:15, singing, opening prayer, and then I shared two stories: the Emmaus disciples and Zacchaeus and their similarities of how all “discovered” Jesus and rejoiced as they shared – testimony and goods. Michael wanted me to sing the song “Zacchaeus” once again, and then had the group cheer so that I would sing it again.
I began taking pictures early this morning, and found that people wanted me to take their pictures. I am sharing some of those pictures on this blog.

Pastor Tao and his family took us out to dinner along with an elderly couple (never did catch who they were or how they were “related”). Then we returned to the church for the “youth meeting.” That meant ages 11 to about 60. About 40 were present. We sang “Jesus Loves Me” together in Mandarin and English and then I explained the colored bead bracelet and shared one with each person. I also gave out all of my left over Peace pens with the youngest of the crowd.
 
Michael shared and then they each spoke a blessing for me – Michael translated – and then when they were going on to the stage for a picture, they stopped to hug me and many said Jesus loves you.
I had previously told you that I had an adopted daughter, Sarah, but tonight I also adopted the pastor’s daughter, a 23 year old seminary student, and named her Miriam. That was special. I also met a high school 2 student who spoke English really well. She confided in me that I was the first foreigner she had ever spoken to. Her dream is to travel to the U.S.

What a wonderful send-off. Waves, wishes, and hugs. Baiju from the pastor and some candy from one of the people. Off to the hotel to pack and to have a beer with Michael. Either the pollution is bad or my throat is sore from all the speaking (probably both).

No comments:

Post a Comment