Friday, May 18, 2012

SPRING GARDENING

I know that this is the picture that you have all been waiting for: my garden. It's early in the season and things are just beginning to grow. The garlic is to the left and the rhubard to the right.

I have most everything planted that will be growing for this year. Here's the scoop: garlic, onions (sets and plants, and multipliers that winter), chives, rhubarb and asparagus (perennials), kohlrabi, radishes, lettuce, rainbow swiss chard, summer squash, cucumbers, tomatos, eggplant, okra, peppers ( banana, green, gold, and salsa), cabbage (purple and green), cauliflower, broccoli, brussels sprouts, green beans, snap peas, parsnips, beets (golden and cylindrical), and carrots. I don't think I missed anything. Both the upper and the lower gardens are full, but perhaps when the radishes are done, I will be able to plant a bit more.

Some of the lower garden (closer to the house and fenced in with the nice wood rails). I've also planted herbs for Karol:  parsley (moss curled and Italian), cilantro, basil, and dill.

The lupine have just started blooming. They grow in soil that is fairly poor, and this patch has expanded each year so that now there is a substantial area where the lupine bloom.  I'm remembering them while I'm here in St. Louis

I love this time of the year when everything is "springing forth" from the earth, whether perennial or planted this year. It's fresh, clean, new and beautiful.

While I work and explore and enjoy during the daylight hours, there is also activity during the hours of dark. Check out this video, FROGS GALORE, to see what happens at night. http://youtu.be/R30zj4El7Bs

Presently, I'm in St. Louis serving at the In-Depth Bible Seminar. This year, we have 16 international students who are with us. The next blog will share some pics and news about the Seminar.

1 comment: