Monday, May 21, 2012

KILLDEER

While I'm here at the In-Depth Bible study, I do most of the work (study, computer or conversation and planning) as I sit either in the dining area or outside on the veranda where there are tables and chairs for eating. The area loverlooks a large grassy meadow with a pond right in the middle. The Canadian geese are ever present along with one domestic goose who has seemingly adoped the "foreign" family.

Among the other birds that I have seen are the bluebirds, barn swallows, chipping sparrows, green heron, and the large great blue heron. It is a veritable paradise for the birds.

Yesterday as I sat outside, I noticed that the killdeer seemed to favor the area between me and the pond. A gravel road transects that stretch. And as I watched I suddenly spotted a killdeer who was not going anywhere. I thought "there must be a nest somewhere near." And so, with my eyes focused on the spot, I walked to the road and found the nest. I love the pictures that I was able to capture.
Several killdeer are regularly seen in the area where I study and work


The female sitting on the nest. After I got my binoculars, I was able to see the upper half of the killdeer sitting on what appeared to be a nest.  I had to remember carefully where the spot was located.

As I approached, my eyes were directed toward the male who was involved in all kinds of antics (flashing wing, broken body parts, etc) to distract me from the nesting site I was about to discover. But, I focused.
My focus was rewarded with a closeup view of the nest. The picture was taken in the afternoon when the sun was hot and bright. I did show the Sojourn staff where the nest was located so that they would not mow over the spot.
 

This picture was taken early this morning about 6:15. The eggs seem to be sitting in the exact place as the previous afternoon. If one goes to look at the eggs, the killdeer put on their "injured dance" but soon the female returns after one has come to look.

Not long after she has been disturbed from sitting on the nest, mother killdeer returns to warming the eggs. I probably won't be able to the little ones scampering around the grassy meadow.

1 comment: