Monday, July 9, 2012

KENT

Yesterday, Karol and I worshipped at St. Luke Lutheran Church, Lyndon Station, WI, nearby Wisconsin Dells. My old buddy during Concordia, Milwaukee days, Terry Lehman, hailed from this small village. St. Luke is also the home parish of Kent Pierce who was baptized and confirmed in this little church (now averaging 50 or less in Sunday worship).

Kent was a part of our Peace ministry in the early '90's. His grandmother hails from Reedsburg, and his mother, a little younger than I, was a part of St. Peter's Lutheran School, Reedsburg. His grandfather was a Lutheran pastor. Kent heard God's calling for pastoral ministry and went on to finish his education at Concordia Seminary, St. Louis. He married a college sweetheart, Jen, and now have three children.

Kent has been a campus pastor (after my heart) since ordination. First, he served Kent State University in Kent, Ohio, and now he is at Campus Lutheran in Columbia, Missouri, serving the University of Missouri.
Karol and Kent. Kent shared following the service that the first Bible class he ever attended at Peace was led by Karol.

This camper began it's trek in Columbia, Missouri, headed to Washington State, arrived in Lyndon Station, WI, and is now headed to the Atlantic in the state of Conneticut. Kent pedals all the way, one day traveling 161 miles (a good tailwind, he said).

This summer on his sabbatical, he is biking across America in support of campus ministry, creating awareness and raising funds for LCMS Campus Ministry. His support team is his family who travels along with camper and bikes.

Kent's message was based on Hebrews 12:1-3 and had the following three parts:
     1) Celebrate the witnesses; past (OT and NT) and present who surround us
     2) Travel lightly ("throw off everything that hinders...")
     3) Live in faith

You can follow Kent on the remainder of his journey at http://dryditch.wordpress.com. Feel free to share financial gifts with LCMS Campus Ministry (very close to my heart).


On Sunday afternoon, Karol potted about 20 geraniums (purchased at Fleet Farm for the sale price of $.50 each. They will adorn our garden when you come to visit.

While Karol potted plants, I harvested the garlic from this year's garden. I have about a dozen more plants in the garden, still growing while I await the maturing of their seed heads.
This year, I tried a different method for harvesting. I dug alongside the garlic to loosen the dirt. Then I pulled up the garlic and tied it in bundles. Following that, I cut off the root with a pruning tool. Finally, I washed the garlic bulbs with a nozzled hose and hung the bundles in the garage rafters for drying. I have plenty, if you would like some.

No comments:

Post a Comment