Tuesday, July 17, 2012

THE WEEKEND PAST

For many years, Vi Quinn has been wanting me to come to her home congregation, Trinity, Merrillville, Indiana, to share the story of ISM. Well, this past weekend it finally happened. I traveled the six hours to Merrillville on Saturday and arrived mid-afternoon. Tina, whom I only knew as a small child, was there with Vi to greet me.

It is interesting how small the world really is. Tina and her husband, Mark, are members at St. John's Lutheran Church in Beecher (Eagle Lake) where I spent the first five years of my life. In Eagle Lake, there are no eagles and there is no lake, but it is the place of my fathers first pastorate. He was single when he first moved there, later getting married to LaVerne Mueller on August 24, 1940.

I was born one year to the day later. I remember (perhaps through pictures and bedtime stories) feeding the chickens, watching the sheep, falling into the shallow pond with brother Rob, and hearing about the frost in my bedroom because there was no heat but a kitchen stove.

I missed kindergarten due to our move to Blue Island right when I turned five. Don't know whether that was a blessing or a detriment to my educational endeavors. I simply know that Eagle Lake has a warm spot in my heart.

Four or five years ago when I preached for their mission festival/church anniversary, they announced my presence on their luminated church sign, "Dr. Carl Selle to speak here." I can only say that probably was a premonition of the honorary doctorate I received in May 2011. Most interesting.
Vi Quinn, her daughter, Tina Szcepaniak with her husband, Mark
I met Vi and her family while on vicarage at St. John Lutheran Church, Gary (Tolleston), Indiana, back in 1965-1966. She had a bunch of little bonkers at that time. Later they moved to Hobard, and now, she lives by herself with three chihuahuas in a duplex.


While there, I was treated to Outback Steak House and Bob Evans for meals (different than my normal Asian style of eating). The Sunday service at 9 am was most enjoyable. Did something I don't normally do (in fact, it was a first); had a question and answer give-away before the service began. Asked questions about ISM and invited answers. Each answer received an Asian gift. What a wonderful way to ENJOY with smiles and laughter. I'll do that again.

The drive through Chicago was long with bumper to bumper traffic. Tomorrow morning, we will leave at 5 am to traverse that same route on our way to Pittsburgh for Caleb's baptism on Sunday and Isaac's second birthday on Saturday.

DID YOU REALLY WANT TO SEE THE CHIHUAHUAS?????

3 comments:

  1. We are looking forward to your visit! A visit with family is long overdue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matthew Carl selleJuly 17, 2012 at 6:08 PM

    I could have done without the dogs. Knowing you missed kindergarten answers a lot of questions. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. However, one has to do with selling a can of soda? That same force will work with
    the display's manufacturer to develop custom graphics that effectively convey the business image you desire. There has been a useful student loans people tool for promoting your MLM business. Free Chromebooks courtesy of in-flight Internet provider Gogo, which used Vine and Twitter to spill the beans about its Valentine's Day giveaway.


    My web page ... Student Loans for People with Bad Credit

    ReplyDelete