Thursday, November 1, 2012

November 1st




Another early start to the day, 6:15, because I needed to make sure that everything was packed before I left for the English Center. Brogan and I had a bit of conversation and then he headed out to get some of his prep work done for his first to third graders. It didn’t take me long to gather everything up and get it into my suitcase. I’m certainly glad that I packed lightly.

First stop was the Center to have breakfast with a group from San Francisco that came for a 4 day teaching time – on living a “right” life and some workshops on relationships and marriage. Eggs, steamed buns, fruit, and real coffee (would you believe it?). Hilda and I then took off for the eyeglass store.

On the way, they called to say that my glasses would not be in until 4 pm or so. We continued on to the store to remind them they had PROMISED to have them before noon. After some dickering, they decided to give a 10% discount along with sending the next day to Shenzhen. What was so frustrating was that I had paid an extra 200 yuan so that I could get them before I left Jiang Men. The extra money was for a better quality of glasses, not any kind of a rush order. The less expensive glasses could come only within a 10 day period. Well, they apologized and I will get them tomorrow in Shenzhen.

Hilda and I headed to the post office to pick up two picture cards. Someone, I don’t remember who, wanted a picture postcard. From there toward the seafood market. Along the way we stopped at a calligraphy shop and a “western” store operated by an American Born Chinese (ABC).

I could tell we were nearing the fish market by the smell – quite obvious. First seen were turtles and crabs. Then to all sorts of fish, snails, mussels, clams, eels, and whatever grows in the water (including sea cucumber – ask Karol about our Taiwan experience). The market merged into other kinds of meat (chicken, pork, beef), and then vegetables. Interspersed along the way were rice and herb stands, little shops for cooking oil or rice crackers/products. Finally, at the other entry, we got to the live market where chickens, ducks, geese, dogs, and pigeons all waited for customer purchase and “the axe.” The “wet market” or fresh market, as I like to call it, is a great place to catch the flavor of China. These types of markets are everywhere. One day, they will be superceded by supermarkets, but I think that that day is still a long way off.



Time to head back to the Center to pick up my suitcase and the laundry that Lily had picked up. Lily needed to stay with the San Francisco bunch, so Hilda and I went alone to the dim sum restaurant. Good meal.
Off to the bus station by city bus (2 yuan - $.33) and then to the long distance station where my ticket for the two and one-half hour ride cost 84 yuan ($14). Transportation is inexpensive in China. That’s a good blessing.
I’m on the bus now (for about 30 minutes) and we just made a stop for some more passengers. If someone sits in the seat next to me it will be “curtains” for the computer since I won’t have enough room to type. The bus is the long distance type with cushy seats and an “attendant” to travel along. Seems that it was her first duty to pass out a free bottle of water to each passenger.
The trip went without incident, arriving in Shenzhen about 5:15 pm. The attendant nodded that I was to get off the bus, so I picked up my luggage from underneath the bus and walked toward the terminal, all the while looking for a taxi. Men on motorcycles and three wheel cycles were offering rides. In about 10 minutes, I found the taxi and traveled 15 minutes to the Vandercook apartment.
Well, they live in a nice tower, among many other towers in a gated community (doesn’t at all mean that they are wealthy). The gateman left me in, and another security man inside the area took me to building 8. I punched the apartment number into the keypad, but couldn’t figure out how to send it. A man came by and, with his card, opened the door to the apartment building.
I could tell that they lived on the 32nd floor by the address they had given me, so I took the only elevator to the 32nd floor. Once off the elevator, I only saw one apartment, and it wasn’t “D.” So I thought that there must be another tower available by another elevator. When I got to the bottom, nothing. I went back to the entry and a lady buzzed the apartment and Jim said that he would come down.
Went back to the same elevator and Jim was coming out. We went to the same 32nd floor and went through a fire door and, “Wallah,” there was the apartment. What a view – about the highest in Shenzhen. Construction all around. Lots of big buildings. Tomorrow will have pics.
James and Ardith Vandercook have been in China for over one year, teaching the first year in Baoshan (a city in Yunnan where I had previously taught). Supper of wild rice soup (rice from America) and a relaxing evening.

The street sweepers are out in the early morning to clean up all the "stuff" from the night before.

Motorcycle traffic jam (never seen in the U.S., but very common in China)



No comments:

Post a Comment