Thursday, November 8, 2012

November 8th



I forgot to mention about our Brother driver yesterday evening. I do believe that he enjoyed driving right down the center of the white lines. He accelerated and decelerated with regularity. Finally, he drove with his window wide open – enough to make the passengers in the back feel really, really cold. Good that there were three in the back, and that I could have the passenger seat.
Up this morning at 6:30 to find that there still was inadequate signal at our hotel. Breakfast was steamed buns (meat and bean paste). Michael said we would be leaving the hotel and staying elsewhere, but, China surprises, we discovered we were going to come back to this same hotel. Off with a better driver. This time we’re out by the rice fields and water buffalo – that’s right, the country.

Some great steamed buns for breakfast.
While the country is a wonderful place to visit and the people are ALWAYS warm and welcoming, there are a few disadvantages. Water is not always available, so you have to make sure to carry water. All water must be boiled before drinking – so in hotels, there are little boiling teapots that are electric and work very well. Toilets in some places have much to be desired (but I am not complaining here). More often than not, they are squat toilets, flush with the floor. And sometimes the drainage is not good so the smell is terrific.
But always, the people make up for these minor disadvantages. They share what little they often have. They bring out fruit (tangerines, fresh dates, oranges, and bananas) at the slightest thought that you might visit. Their handshakes (with both hands) indicates the warm hearts they have.
Each time I visit, I notice the discrepancies between the richer (rich) and the poor. Hard physical work is the lot of perhaps 80% of the people living here. Some have made it big as they have migrated to the big cities. In some of the bigger cities, the wealth of some would astonish us. And that is a clue for me in international student ministry – many of those students come from the wealth of this country.
I long to tell the whole story of the trip, for it has been a blessing to be here. Don’t fail to ask when I return.
I’m wearing my kakis today. I look at that light brown, and notice how out of step I am with the rest of the people. Black pants, gray coats, dark shirts and blouses are all the order of the day. High topped tennis shoes, calf high stylish boots, flip flops and rubber flat and dark slipper like things also work. It is not uncommon to see men working wearing suit coats – even construction workers.
Here is is already cold enough for people to be wearing light coats, and even some puffy winter coats. Long underwear is probably in since none of the homes in the south ever have heat, and we are south of that magic, invisible line (north has heat, including in floor heating and the south has none).
Veggies again for lunch. Carrots, kohlrabi, lotus, and fungus (with a little chicken), all with a bowl of rice. I didn’t even try the slippery things in the middle soup pot because I didn’t think I could get them with my chopsticks. On the other side of the table was a spicy dish (they wondered if I wanted anything spicy), but it never got my way. There was no lazy susan, only a stand up (or like we did – sit on the stools) table.
I’ll have to present again following our rest, at 1 pm. I’ll do the story of the Emmaus disciples which I’ve done before. I thought that we were leaving after lunch, but no, we’ll be here a bit longer. Then for several home visits, I think. Always China surprises.



We visited a state home/school for hearing impaired and the mentally challenged today. How wonderful it was to see the special love and care that they were receiving. One of the deaf boys, almost as tall as me, came and put his arm around me so that his picture could be taken with me. Some of the mentally challenged were unwilling to shake hands, but most were free to shake hands and smile.


It was so sad to drive out of the gates. My heart was touched. The director of the school has been working there since 2001 (the school opened in 1989). She appeared to have a heart of gold. The cook also was present - what a great guy. One of the teachers was teaching the deaf - she had the patience and love of a saint. This visit was the closest to tears of joy since my arrival in China.

The two pictures are of some of the 48 children at this institute.
GREAT afternoon. Will talk later.
Supper was about the same as last night. Same restaurant.
Tomorrow is last full day in central mainland. Saturday morning back to Shenzhen.

No comments:

Post a Comment