Friday, November 2, 2012

November 2nd



A lazy, slow day for me in Shenzhen 12 million people go to work and school or care for children at home. But for me, I could sit around all morning with sermon, email, and taking pictures out of our 32nd story window.

View from the 32nd floor of the new hospital/clinic construction site

After a light lunch, Ardith and I took a taxi to BCIS (Buena Vista Concordia International School), a k to 8 private school currently in its second year of operation with 68 students. Tuition for this private school, begun by the Lutheran Hong Kong Synod, runs about $20,000 per year. You read it right: students come from the wealthiest of homes, mostly Chinese, but with a smattering of expatriate students.

Buena Vista Concordia International School in Shenzhen

The facility was built two years ago and is supported by some wealthy individuals who wanted to see a private, American education style of school in this new neighborhood. It seems to be successful even though it has gone through 4 principals in its first one and one-half years.

I met Christie Nelson, deaconess, who had spent 15 years serving in Thailand. I spent about one hour with her hearing how God has worked in her life and, after a brief time in America, was led by God to serve here in Shenzhen. What a wonderful young woman.

Christie Nelson, deaconess in Thailand for 15 years, now teaches at BCIS

 I also met Lauren who I gotten to know a bit when I was in Hong Kong last March. She now serves as the Director of Development for the school. One of the teachers is Hannah Kroonblawd, son of Jim and Lynn, formerly of Wisconsin. What a small world in the Lutheran church.

After we returned home from school, Jim took me to the optometrist to have my new glasses adjusted. Then next door to the pharmacy to grab some vitamin C and some pill meant to take care of the symptoms of a cold.

This evening, Jim and I taxied to the Bao’an Church where they were having a fellowship in English. Singing, prayer, a 1+ hour message (translated) and then they broke into groups (we didn’t stay for the groups). Lots of young people. The speaker tonight was an American.

Fellowship night at Bao'an Church

As we were walking up to the apartment, Pingping called. Tomorrow they will pick me up around 9:30 and we will go for dim sum. Don’t yet know what the rest of the day will hold. Tune in tomorrow!! I love you all.


No comments:

Post a Comment