Thursday, October 31, 2013

HONG KONG TO MACAU TO JIANGMEN



Persephone met me at Mei Foo at 9 am and we traveled together by MTR and then by Turbo Jet ferry to Macau. It was a good chance to share our stories. She from a corporate background, now in a human care position here in Asia. It’s good and challenging for her as she coordinates all of the teams who come to the Hong Kong/Macau area.

Oct. 30  ON TO MACAU

Part of Asia that I’ve never much experienced is Macau. Today was the day. And I really did not experience much except a restaurant and the Concordia English School. Sharon Owens took me out for lunch at a Portuguese restaurant. I’ve known her for some 20+ years both in her ISM position in Lincoln, NE, and in her work in Asia. She’s adopted two wonderful children in the past 10 years. Conversation was fruitful and lunch was delightful. Portuguese rice stuffed chicken and another dish like a beef stir fry. The Macau beer was on a scale of average.

By mid-afternoon, I was at the Concordia English Center where I spent time with the two GEO’s presently teaching at the school. I participated in the staff Bible study in the late afternoon. Ate a characteristic “pork chop on a bun” for my evening meal and then waited for the free English conversation time at 8 pm where I introduced myself and answered questions. We broke into smaller groups for discussion.

Tonight I’m housed somewhere in Macau with the Taiwanese vicar, Dan Ho (haven’t met him) and Pedro, a volunteer from Taiwan here until the end of December. He speaks only minimal English. No internet, basic bed (in a room with stored furniture). Pedro carried my suitcase the six flights up (no elevator) – believe me, I was thankful for that. Honestly, I’ll be glad to be on my way to Jiangmen in the morning.

Oct. 31:  BACK IN CHINA

Cars on the right side of the road; neatly landscaped expressways; small farm plots; buildings everywhere; I’m back in mainland China.

The bus is taking me from the border crossing at Macau to Jiangmen; 59 RMB. One of the very first signs that I see is the top line in Chinese characters with the following words underneath:  WELCOME TO WANZAI NEXT TIME. Now I know that I’ve really arrived. I’m in the front seat of the bus…maximum bus speed on this four lane highway; 100 km per hour. Over that speed, the odometer is all in red.

On the bus ride we passed hundreds of fish ponds some totally covered with plastic, similar to a greenhouse. Most every inch of tilleable ground was producing something and it wasn’t hard to spot the many “peasants” who work hard producing the food that feeds the immense population of China. My guess is that this southeastern part of China is a huge breadbasket.

After an hour and one-half of travel, we’re off the expressway and into the city. The number of bicycles, motorbikes, motorcycles, and other manner of transport never cease to amaze me. I’m looking forward to seeing Hilda and Lily again – they’ll be my “tour guides” and translators while in Jiangmen.

I thought that I would be teaching two Bible classes today. Well, that was right, but they were two classes with Chinese participants (and the medium of conversation was also Mandarin). I shared The Divine Plan and a study on the Emmaus disciples - both things I've done before. 

In between, I got a haircut, changed money, settled into the hotel, ordered a new pair of glasses, ate lunch, and reconnected with some of the people at the English school here.

Tonight I'm beat and will be in bed by 11. I've taken few pictures so really have nothing to post at this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment