Tuesday, January 8, 2013

GUATEMALA - JAN 8 PM

What and exciting day, our first full day of clinic. Tomorrow starts VBS. Construction daily.


At the registration desk. People wait patiently to sign in and then take temps and blood pressures. The most anxious people are the kids who never seem to sit still.
Jean Boettcher checks heart and pulse of a little girl who wasn't feeling well.
Diane Reetz, nurse practitioner, chats with a mother and child through Nills, one of our translator.
Myra Swiston gives occipital relief to one of the village women. Often necks and shoulders are
"out of wack" because of carrying goods on their heads.

 In answer to the question, "HOW’S IT GOING?" these responses were given:

It’s hot up here in San Pedro, but you would never guess it from the attitude of the people. The morning has been busy with a line of people already here when we arrived about 8:30. The waiting room has been full the whole time, but now (at noon time) it’s empty. They have worked with some kind of numbering system, and the people with numbers will return.
I’ve been taking pictures. Twice I shared the Gospel using the Divine Plan and/or colored bracelets. The people are very attentive, and, of course, the bracelets are REALLY popular with the kids. Additionally, I’ve been shoveling dirt to fill the cavity of the house we are building. The foundation has been poured, the block walls are now up, and the roof was put on this morning. When the inside floor is filled and tamped tight, the cement will be poured (it may be that we will do that tomorrow). The house has three rooms and a bathroom with shower and stool. The largest room is a kitchen, eating area, living space, and two of the rooms are “large” bedrooms.
The team has been working well together, cooperating with each other as the clinic was set up and then, as the clinic was held. We have about 3 local young people who are serving as translators. They are really helpful for us.  (Carl)

I’ve been talking to patients and checking them into the clinic.  Helping out when I am needed and working.  I talked to a family and heard a sad story about a mother and her baby.  And an older woman  Tina came in today who greatly resembled my own grandmother.  I feel like I am helping out a lot here and I’m happy to help.  (Angelica)

This morning we started clinic.  Things are a little slow in physical therapy but even with that I think we (me and Kathy my translator) saw 7 people, most with neck or back pain, or arthritis of the joints.  Normal life here is so demanding physically that it’s easy to see why there is much pain.  I hope that these exercise and stretches will help a little.  I gave my ergonomics talk once – no one laughed at me! (Myra)

We started the medical clinic this am. We did get the pharmacy set up yesterday which helped, but still a slow start (the first day is the slowest). I get to see the  neck and back pain which is within my comfort zone, which makes me happyJ And my watch broke, so no watch/time gazing for me. (Todd)
 Began working on the house this morning. My job was to dig, and transport fill dirt for the interior floor. As soon as I started working, two boys approximately 9 or 10 years old came to watch.  Their names  were Pedro and Reetz. They started loading the wheel barrow for me while I hauled away. I had to make them take a break. They helped me most of the morning and by noon with Pastor Carl’s help, we pretty much got the subfloor ready to pour the concrete tomorrow. It’s been a great day so far. (Dale)  

Other than being bitten up by fleas or gnats or some other nasty bug, it’s going great. The medical clinic started this morning.  Entire families show up – babies through grandmas -   They have to wait a long time but don’t complain.  I weigh and measure patients after Tina and Angie and Myrna check them in.  Next stop is nurse Jean Boettcher, then off to see Dr. Carol, Dr. Todd, nurse practitioner Diane or physical therapist Myra then finally to Scott in the pharmacy. The local and our own translators are excellent. The lines are endless.  It’s an incredible experience.    I’ll think I’ll keep my day job. (Mary) 


Three buddies who have a great time interacting with each other.

Enjoy the following pictures of the kids that we all fell in love with.










Romero is the CALMS coordinator in Guatemala. He has been very helpful in "making it happen."

In the neighborhood:  Making tortillas on an outside stove. I think that it's all done in this manner.








A couple of little boys lead their donkeys around the little village.

A common way to carry all kinds of goods...by the women.




No comments:

Post a Comment