Tuesday, January 15, 2013

PRAISE THE LORD! WE'RE SAFELY HOME!

Monday, Jan. 14


The trip over the mountains was visually pleasing. The view gave us vistas of rocky crags and deep valleys. Much of the land is arid dotted with 15 to 20 foot multi-branched cactus, maybe good for growing aloe vera, but not much else. I’m sure that some of that land is used to graze cattle. The four lane highway wound its way through very small villages.

By 11 am, we had reached the one of the souvenir areas in Guatemala City. It was a pleasant place to shop, a few others and lots of choices in the 40 some shops. We looked for an hour and then headed to a fried chicken fast food restaurant for lunch. I had crispy chicken, just like KFC. 

After dropping Josie off at the airport at 1:30, we headed back for more shopping. Some of our team have multiple gifts to buy for loved ones and friends. The nice thing about this craft area is that, as far as I can tell, everything is made in Guatemala. Some purchased woven items, usually very colorful. Others found bookmarks, dolls, and clay figurines. It was fun looking, and, for me, it was fun bargaining (reminded me of my days in China).

Later this afternoon we’ll head to the airport, find some supper there, and then board the 8:30 flight for Chicago O’Hare. The day has been nice because it is low key and relaxing, very unlike the busy days we had with VBS and the clinic.

TEAM MEMBERS REFLECT ON THE TRIP

I enjoyed the time I spent with the people of Zacapa and working in the clinic .My daughter helped me a lot. I am looking forward to coming back ….Scott and Tabitha

I really enjoyed my time spent here in Guatemala.  During this trip I made a ton of friends and I will miss every single one of them. I enjoyed the hot temperature and my favorite day was the one spent visiting the families of San Pablo and listening to their stories about their life and the history of San Pablo….Angie

I felt that the love for Jesus is growing with every trip. Hearing stories from people of San Pablo about the earthquake they lived through and the survival brought tears to my eyes. The smiles of the children are addicting. I am very excited to start planning the next trip to San Pablo to work more with the people and continue to spread the word of Jesus Christ….Diane

I had a great time working and trying to communicate with my fellow workers at the house construction, specially, Dino. I thought that I had it down because they answered yes to all my questions but most of the time they did not understand me. Everyone was very friendly and so happy for our help….Dale

Infinite thanks to all the people of Guatemala who I’ve had the pleasure to learn from over the past week.  Likewise, to the Saint Paul group for inviting me to be a part of their family for the week - it has been an honor to work alongside each and every one of you as we experienced the culture of San Pablo, a community that welcomed us with open arms and open hearts.  The Saint Paul and San Pablo groups have so much to offer one another, and being that such a solid foundation is in place, I am excited to see the relationship continue to grow and strengthen in the future, reaping countless benefits for both communities.  Thank you for an incredible week, the unforgettable memories and everlasting friendships….Sabrina

I am so grateful to God again for a trip that is a blessing…a blessing for me personally, a blessing for the people on the trip, blessings to come for the family of St. Paul in Stevens Point and we pray blessings for our brother and sisters in San Pablo.  The beauty of the land as we drive, the beauty of the people and the beauty of the gospel that transforms our hearts fills me with peace and joy.  As we talk about the next trip it brings excitement about the future of our partnership with San Pablo….Carol

What has come from this trip?  Beautiful memories of Guatemalan people and landscape, prayers that our presence in San Pablo has brought God’s love and some hope for its people, focus on the value of time in the US and the need for quiet, reinforcement of the need for family and community.  God has blessed our group and our time on the trip and I am grateful….Myra

This trip came to me as an unexpected opportunity to participate in the mission to Guatemala.  It has been a real blessing getting to know people up close and personal that I have been acquainted with for years but rather from a distance.  The talented college students who translated for us were so much fun.  The staff who had been there before was so knowledgeable and great leaders. The people of San Pablo will be unforgettable for their smiles and peaceful contentment when their life is so difficult compared to ours.  I hope to have a deep appreciation for the simple blessings we take for granted….Jeanne

My best memory is of working with Alex the translator and a home visit gentleman named Carlos on the puzzle.  I had just taught Alex the prior day. He followed my instructions giving Carlos the same puzzle path and explanation. We showed Carlos, we explained the colors and we did the puzzle, then we asked him to do it also. On the second attempt, he completed it perfectly. We praised him and he was very pleased – then he showed us his Bible, which he said he had read from cover to cover.  He had many paper markers in the pages for his favorite passages.  My heart was filled with joy….Tina

What a great trip, better each time (OK, it has only been two). My anxiety over general medicine was much less, and there were a handful of neurological cases (Bell’s Palsy, epilepsy, restless legs, carpal tunnel syndrome) and plenty of  musculoskeletal issues so  that I did find more than an island of comfort.  I would smile when the “chief complaint” was “wants to see the neurologist.”  We are really starting to develop a real relationship with the people of San Pablo, and I smile and look forward to the next trip to continue to share God’s love here in Guatemala….Todd

Tired of shopping. It was good that three hours later we caught the plane to return to the States. The trip was a huge blessing to us from the people of San Pablo, and we were a wonderful blessing to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment