Wednesday, January 30, 2013

LEIGH YAWKEY WOODSON ART MUSEUM

What a great day. The snow came (about 8 inches at final count). Karol and I took the three Japanese vet students to the museum. We ate pho at the Vietnamese restaurant. I got stuck in the driveway.
I can't believe how many birds come to our various feeders. Most of these seed-eaters are pine siskins. Other ground feeders are the juncos, goldfinches, redpolls and mourning doves.

We've had lots of turkeys lately. Andrew wondered why they kept coming back every day. I told him, "They like the corn."

It takes lots of stamina to keep all of the feeders full of seed.
Karol's goal is to have the chickadees eat out of her hand. And I know that one of these day it will really happen.
These cranes welcome visitors to the museum. Other garden sculptures can be found in the garden area, but the snow was too deep to walk around.

The art museum is housed in a former log baron's home. No admission charge to see their changing venues. They now have a permanent collection of Owen Gromme paintings. It's worth a visit.
We love the pileated woodpeckers. This painting was such a treat since we had just seen one of these magnificent birds at our suet.

Bald eagles also have a warm spot in our heart. We frequently see an eagle on our way home from Stevens Point.



The loon is still one more favorite. We can travel a mere seven miles during the summer to hear the loon at Jackqueline Lake.


We have a signed print of this painting in our bedroom over the bathtub.



The current display at the museum was origami (folded paper from all over the world). l-r: Ryota, Karol, Sachiko, and Kota (foreground)

Sachiko was pleased that she was able to recreate a camera.



The morning wouldn't have been complete without lunch at Lor's Vietnamese Restaurant in Stevens Point.

Today we all happened to order "pho." Surely tasted good on a snowy day.
ADDENDUM:  After our trip to Wausau and then to the restaurant, I brought Karol home. The snow was deep in the drive, but I could make it in and then headed back to Point. On my way home, the snow was deeper, and I did get stuck. I tried backing up several times, driving on the snow that I packed, but there was too much ice underneath. I was about to go up to the house when Cheeto (our plow man) arrived to take care of the driveway. He plowed and then pushed me off of the ice. I then made it up to the garage/house.

No comments:

Post a Comment