Monday, January 21, 2013

WINONA WEEKEND

This past weekend, I had the opportunity to travel to Winona, Minnesota, to do an ISM weekend. I was well received; I shared the story; and I discovered that the travel there and back was interesting.
They call it "Steamboat Rock," located between Coloma and Necedah on Highway 21. It is so strange because there are no other outcroppings of rock in the area.
Shortly after passing Steamboat Rock, I spied this bald eagle just waiting for my photo.



Next were the turkeys enjoying some kind of treats in a roadside yard. A short time later, I also saw a porcupine plodding along the ditch.

After crossing the Mississippi River traveling north along the bluffs in Minnesota, I saw these spectacular frozen falls. No water was running, but it must have simply seeped out of the bluff.

The mighty Mississippi River (frozen tight).

In Winona, ice fishermen had put out their shacks. The rock in the background is interesting. At night, it seemed to have lights on it. Laura Mako Lange just emailed me to inform me the rock outcropping on the top is called Sugar Loaf. You can drive all the way up to near the top.
St. Martin's Lutheran Church, Winona. They apparently have a membership of 1800, but not nearly that many were in the three services on Saturday night and Sunday morning. They also have an elementary school and a small "area" high school. Ruth Badciong (missions and campus ministry at St. Martin) emailed me a Facebook link for some Saturday night supper pics:  www.facebook.com/lsfwinona

I set up my display table in the narthex. People picked up material, and about 15 new prayer partners were added to our database.

On Sunday afternoon, I took the northern route back to Stevens Point. The highways took me through some beautiful rolling hills with lots of forest with farms tucked inbetween.

 IT WAS A NICE WEEKEND WITH A CHANCE TO SHARE THE STORY OF ISM AND ADDITIONAL BLESSINGS TO SEE GOD'S WORLD - BEAUTIFUL!




1 comment:

  1. Hey PC!

    I believe the rock in the background of the ice fishermen that has lights on at night is called the Sugar Loaf. I'm not sure why it's called that, but I remember my sister talking about it back in the day when she was in college @ Winona state. You can drive up there and take in a wonderful view from above.

    ReplyDelete