Thursday, February 23, 2012


Thursday, Feb. 23

Sleeping was sporadic. I heard the trucks and taxis, the bell of the train and the sounds of people walking by my apartment. At 5, I heard a bird calling loudly. It was so loud that I thought it might be a monkey, but when I got up at six, I recorded it on video and decided that it had to be a bird. Now as I look outside and see how close the neighboring apartment complex really is, it could be someone’s caged singer.

Even though it wasn’t cold last night, I was cold in bed. Put on my long johns, and later my sweater, and then threw my jacket over the top, and then, finally, I was warm. Buildings are not made like the States. Often found are lots of spaces for air to enter, some intentional and some not.  On the wall over one of the bunk beds, there is a 12” square hole – only a screen covers the hole. Chances are that the inside is only a few slight degrees warmer than the outside.

Today I “learn the ropes.” I’ll find out where to do my shopping and laundry, what I need to do during the school day, and I’ll meet those people to whom I am responsible. I start our by greeting students and parents at 8 am.

PRAYER REQUESTS:

+ For a warm, positive attitude as I meet “old friends” and new acquaintances.

+ For an understanding on what my responsibilities will be.

+ For a genuine love for Christians and non-believers here that I will meet.

Wednesday, Feb. 22 (Ash Wednesday)

We arrived in Hong Kong about one hour early. Sharon Owens (coordinator living in Macau) came by before a half hour was up. Pastor Albert was not able to make it because of his work. Sharon and I had a good chat while the taxi took us to Siu Leun Primary School (LSL).

The old “watchman’s quarters” have been renovated into two apartments (mine has sleeping space for 9 guests in bunkbeds and a single bed. Shower and kitchen area complete the apartment. In the other apartment, currently used by Judy Newhouse, teacher and mission team coordinator, there’s also a washer and refrigerator, along with sleeping space for three. Judy leaves early tomorrow morning on a  school trip to Australia (until March 5). Sharon will stay with her tonight.

Skyped Karol on Judy’s computer (can also make phone calls via Skype), got a phone and numbers so that I have communication in Hong Kong, received keys and a welcome pack and schedule  for me from the school. Pastor Albert stopped by to welcome me to Hong Kong. Karen Lee and husband, Ken, stopped by to welcome me to the school. Since Karen will also be on the Australia trip, Ken will be able to assist if I need any help (although he speaks minimal English, he can “get it”).

While it is only 12:30 am, and I am not tired, I’m going to bed so that I can be fresh when I greet students and parents at 8 am tomorrow morning.

PRAYER REQUESTS:

+ Thanksgiving for safe travels, the meeting of Dr. King in Detroit, and a welcomed arrival in Hong Kong.

+ Prayer as students and staff travel to Australia for a good week of interaction and sharing.

+ A word of appreciation for Sharon Owens who has now been in this mission field for 10 years; for her children, Joanna and Peter; and for her leadership in the outreach here in Hong Kong, Macau, and eastern China.

Tuesday, Feb. 21

It was hard to feel excited today because I was the only one traveling to Hong Kong. This is my first solo trip and I should have expected it to be different. It was snowing lightly when Karol and I drove separately to Andrew and Suzanne’s so I could leave my car. When I return, Karol will be in St. Louis at a meeting. Then together we left for Central Wisconsin Airport.

The flight to Detroit arrived at 1:05. Before our 3:25 departure, I thought I’d grab a fish sandwich at Macs. I sat down with my sandwich, bowed my head for a moment in prayer, and then prepared to eat. The older gentleman at the counter next to me asked if I had prayed. I nodded affirmation. He said that he also prayed. And that started the conversation. He is a PhD in linguistics and was on his way for a two month teaching stint at a university in Shanghai.

His parents (Christian Missionary Alliance) had been missionaries in India in his early years. He had often traveled to China to teach English (after his un-ordaining), and now teaches by invitation. He said that he spends more than half his time in China.

Here are some of the stats on the 15 hour flight from Detroit to Hong Kong (non-stop); our trajectory took us up toward the north pole, coming down again to the west of Beijing. We flew most of the way at 38,100 feet at a speed of 575 miles per hour for a distance just short of 8,000 miles. The outside temperature was often between -50 and -70 degrees F. Sometimes we had a tailwind up to 160 and a headwind nearly as much. There was little turbulence (only flying over Wuhan in central China).

The plane was only two-thirds full, so I had a three seat section all to myself (other than the food, it was even better than first class). The selection of movies for each personal computer screen was immense. More than I could even imagine. Watched three movies and then slept stretched out on the three seats.

No comments:

Post a Comment