Thursday, February 23, 2012


The video was taken at Siu Leun Lutheran Primary School in Tun Muen, Hong Kong

IT’S THE CITY, STUPID
I was so whipped last night, and suffering from extreme jet lag, that I went to bed at 9:15 pm after a very brief conversation with Karol. I thought it would be a wonderful night of rest since I had requested two more quilts (written on the quilts:  “I grow up with you. And we will always be together. So you can fell into a sound sleep. Good night.”). The soft quilt has on it pictures of five cute little puppies.

Well, I was wrong. The sleep was fitful; I was up every hour for the bathroom, and my hip hurt tremendously. You see, the mattress is the consistency of heavy cardboard that is lying on the floor. Hard is an understatement. But, I’ll get used to it.

My neighbor bird alarmed with a song at 5:51 am. I was planning to get up at 6, so it wasn’t a problem. If that bird belongs to one of the neighbors, I’m surprised that no one has captured it for a cheap meal.

And the sounds! My door opens directly to a sidewalk. I can hear the click of high heels, the sounds of a bicyclist riding by, the chatter of school kids, and the pushing of any variety of carts. On the other side of the sidewalk is a side street. And one hundred yards down that side street is the VERY main thoroughfare where “street car,” train, double deck busses, a variety of small and large trucks, autos, taxis, and motorcycles frequently travel. And the busyness doesn’t even cease at 3 am. Trucks and autos still travel giving it a 24/7 sound dimension.

But my apartment is comfortable although a bit cool. I’m wearing a long sleeved shirt, a sleeveless sweater, and my windbreaker – and now I feel comfortable. It’s like there is a seabreeze briskly blowing over Tun Muen (or Butterfly Bay) where we are located. Down the street from the school/apartment is a terminal for ferries that travel between Hong Kong and Macau (Sharon took that ferry yesterday).

My first music class was this morning (P2B). Must have been about 20 or so kids who for the most part were pretty well behaved. Check out the video I took while they were singing a song for me after I had sung with them for 25 minutes. You be the judge of their activity…

There is much to be said about the city. Plenty of stores and restaurants are within a stones throw from the apartment. And that is advantageous especially when I think about Rosholt. There are always people – but somehow I don’t note too many smiles. It’s nice to be in a place where I’m not all alone, even though I am all alone in a way.

The kids at school are proving to be a lot of fun. They have loosened up today and have more smiles and high fives. Maisie came up to me today and said, “Do you remember me?” I said, “Tell me your name.” And then she revealed to me that I was her charge two years ago when we walked in the wetland park. She was assigned to me. Her mother is Angie, a Christian, who said to me yesterday, “I’ll see you in church on Sunday.” Those connections are nice. Maisie is just a fine young lady who speaks English quite well.
PRAYER CONCERNS:

+ For the Bible study this afternoon that it would be meaningful
+ That I would be able to connect up with Kenas, a student who was in Stevens Point about 5 years ago. A Christian who did worship regularly at Peace. She transferred to a school in Georgia, I believe; graduated; and now is back in Hong Kong.

No comments:

Post a Comment