Wednesday, June 13, 2012

DOWNRIGHT LOONEY!

Perhaps my favorite of all sounds is the call of the loon since it reminds me of the wilds of North America. Never did I believe that I would be able to hear that call so close to home.

On Lake Jacqueline, only seven miles from our home, Andrew and Suzanne were able to get a "steal" on a piece of lakefront property several years ago. Andrew has fixed it up so that it is now a great picnic place with a portion of the two acres in garden. A pier has been built, and while the lake is not particularly known for its white sand beaches, it is a super fishing lake. The minimum keeper size for largemouth bass is 18 inches.

While fishing yesterday, I suddenly realized that a pair of loons had come within close proximity of my boat (that means about 30 yards. I take my camera on occasion when I fish (just in case) and this was one of those times when I had it with me.

If you have never tried to take a picture from a boat that is moving in the wind, you're missing an interesting experience. It's challenging. And, especially challenging when you try to use the zoom - which I needed to do if the pictures were going to at least show something. So you will discover that the still pictures are, to my way of thinking, unbelieveably wonderful while the video is really "all over the map."

I hope that you will enjoy this wonderful sight and sound of "wild Wisconsin."
I'll put my best shot first,although I'm proud of each picture.




Now that you've enjoyed the pictures, I'd like to humbly show you the video that I took. Be prepared for a wild ride, the sound of the wind hiding the call of the loon, and pictures of the sky when you should be seeing video of the loon.


3 comments:

  1. The loons hatched one chick on Monday. I didn't see it in the videos, but hopefully it is still around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the videos! I've never heard a loon call before. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice shots Pops! Reminds me of Camp Luther cabin days.

    ReplyDelete