Monday, June 18, 2012

A PASTOR'S PERSPECTIVE

If a congregational community can be identified as "a fun group," then this is my nomination for first place. They freely love; they're open to adaptation; they warmly care for each other; they smile and laugh easily; and they want to be at worship on Sunday morning. Were I to serve a "normal" congregation at this point in my life (in contrast to a student fellowship), this would be my choice for "THE PLACE TO BE!"
Most folks are "pew sitters." A few of us have a different perspective - that of looking out from the chancel to the pew. And even some of the clergy have both perspectives, sitting in the pews during the service and only moving to the chancel to lead portions of the worship.

This past weekend I led worship at Trinity, Packwaukee, and St. John, Oxford, two smaller parishes. Occasionally (I say this sadly) I discover a warm, welcoming, and caring congregation that delights my heart. Such a congregation is Trinity.

Packwaukee is a very small city located about 60 miles south of Stevens Point. It is off the beaten path - doesn't even have it's own exit off of I39. It boasts of a large artificially created pond. As I drove through the "downtown," I didn't notice much. A few buildings that could be called businesses.

I arrived at the church more than 30 minutes before the beginning of the service. Already, Dorothy was there pulling up window blinds and preparing the worship area for the morning service. I had joked with Dorothy on a previous visit about not having coffee for the morning fellowship time. This time, she had a mug of hot coffee already prepared for me, brought from her home with loving hands.

In a very short while, Hazel arrived. She returned to me the ISM, Inc. prayer partner sheets that I had left with her two weeks ago. During my time away, she had gathered 25 prayer partners. Hazel Is also the woman who announced after the close of the service that a donation had been made by the Women's Group in honor of Fathers Day. The donation had gone to a local shelter. Such a generous gesture on the part of the congregational women.

Following the service, I checked the time and discovered that it was about 9:38 - and still a 10 minute drive to St. John, Oxford, to lead their worship. I thought that I needed to leave, but the elder on duty said that I had time to go to the door to greet the people as they left. I'm glad I did because I heard one man ask me, "Would you be willing to become our pastor?" The congregation has been in a vacancy since the previous pastor had to resign due to health issues.

Just a couple of notes:  while driving down I39 to Packwaukee, a bald eagle came from the south toward me. He was flying low so I got a good look at him. When I turned on County M to head toward Packwaukee, I suddenly saw hundreds of butterflies on the road and on the shoulder of the road. I had to slow down to 30 mph so that I wouldn't kill so many of them. I later found out that they were "red admirals" - apparently there had been a big hatch.


While many in the congregation are older, there is a wonderful mix of youth and families. It seems to me like it is a fairly vibrant family of faith. I'd guess that the facility would hold about 100 worshippers. As I looked to my left, I could see through to the fellowship hall (could also be used as an overflow area).
The congregation is a good singing congregation. Singing GREAT IS THY FAITHFULNESS. While they are not "mighty" in their singing, as you watch the video, you will note that ALL of the people were singing. Maybe that was because they had all agreed that I could take the video, but I'd like to believe that whether or not they are on camera, they do sing with mouths and hearts. I also discovered that they are open to singing new tunes, probably even to using instrumentation other than the electronic organ.
This type of wooden altar is so characteristic of the German Lutheran churches. This altar was different. Behind the cross is a picture of Jesus, the Good Shepherd. I had happened to lead worship here on Good Shepherd Sunday, April 29. As I looked at the picture, I noted the sheep, a black sheep was among the flock. Jesus welcomes all.


Men and women alike were easy to converse with. They had down to earth issues they spoke about without any hesitancy.

Needless to say, I did not use the lecturn or the pulpit, but read and spoke from directly in front of the first pew. It always seems to be so much more personal that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment