Thursday, June 21, 2012

GARDEN: THEN AND NOW; FLOWERS GALORE

The garden then, and now. Quite a difference I'd say. We're harvesting swiss chard, onions, garlic scapes (the tasty seed heads), broccoli, asparagus, carrots, romaine lettuce, and snap peas. The funny thing is, the older I get, the more I like salads. Fifteen years ago, I would never have said that!!

The garden as it looked THEN.......the upper garden  and the lower garden

The garden as it looks TODAY.......the now upper garden and the now lower garden

Clematis on the west side of my workshop. This could be an LWML theme picture - the right colors.

Don't know what these are called, but they are perennials.

I think that this might be the last iris of the summer.

This little guy was sitting on a rock when I launched the boat to fish.

Don't know what these are called either, but Rob said that they were Mother's favorite flowers.

These gallardia, also called blanket flower, grow easily under the washline. They do spread.

Shasta daisies grow naturally in our "meadow" areas around the house. They really provide a splash of color right now.

It's a beautiful time of the year here in Rosholt. I love the many different kinds of flowers (especially the lilies that are soon to burst into bloom) with their reflections of joy and excitement. And I love the garden veggies, ready to eat and so very healthy.

Yesterday I staked the tomatoes for the second time. With the 1/2 inch of rain last night and the nice warm weather, everything grows like crazy. Fortunately, I have kept up with the weeds so that they are not a problem for me at this time. I picked swiss chard and sent it with Karol for her coteachers in the "English For College" program. I guess that they enjoy all the fresh produce too. And I have an abundance. 

2 comments:

  1. Reminds me of visiting grandpa and grandma. Makes me sad to walk out and look at our garden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MINE LOOKS OK BUT A PRAYER OR 2 MIGHT MAKE A DIFFERENCE -- I HOPE PASTOR (DR) CARL BRINGS ME SOME PRODUCE WHEN HE COMES BUT NOT TOO MUCH I AM ONLY ONE NOW BUT I KNO HOW TO SHARE

    ReplyDelete