Saturday, March 3, 2012


ADVENTURE IN HONG KONG
There’s nothing like the unknown. After a 10 hour sleep last night, I spent the early part of the morning in a leisurely way getting my breakfast (a banana and multi-grain cheerios – just dawned on me that these are the happy breakfast, cheery o’s  – for the benefit of the Selle clan whose lives revolve around food) and preparing for the day.
A panoramic view of some of the gazebos at Butterfly Beach Park
My first excursion was back to Butterfly Beach park – such a relaxing place. Music, the senior citizens  exercising on the playground devices, and people strolling along the beach or just sitting and chatting. When I tired of that, I returned to the apartment to pick up my noodle shop menu.

I was greeted warmly at the noodle shop and motioned that I wanted to sit outside. I pulled out my menu (some items translated so I would know what I was ordering). I was poured the warm tea, and then the waitress came over to offer me a choice, fork or chopsticks. I think she was surprised at my choice.
From the Chinese menu, I ordered noodles with squid balls and green vegetables with oyster sauce. The food is served with complimentary tea.

Returned to the apartment to pick up the grocery cart (I know enough not to shop on an empty stomach), and I also had made a grocery list. Picked up milk, butter, bread, sushi, an 8 pack of beer, paper toweling, and some pear juice. Returned home with my goods to get ready for my trip downtown.

     Part of the many bay areas surrounding the island and peninsula of Hong Kong. I never fail to see all varieties of ships in the water: tugs, dredges, container ships, ferry boats, fishermen, and more.
Took the 59M bus to the end of the line and then caught the MTR (rail/subway) for Central. That was the last stop on the line, but there weren’t many people who got off there so I took the next train and backtracked to Admiralty (where lots of people had gotten off). Walked up lots of stairs and came out in the middle of lots of tall buildings (must have been an office area). Got back on the subway and took it to Yau Ma Tei. This is next to Mong Kok where we had the Bible study. I knew that there were stores there – it was near the Ladies Market (night market). See the video for a visual look:  http://youtu.be/qI2eg3x2ppU
Well, I was on the money. Lots of jewelry stores displaying gold in their windows (probably for the Mainland Chinese who come to spend their money here), clothing stores, etc. While I expected people, I wasn’t expecting to many. In some places, it was difficult to traverse the sidewalk. After an hour walking aimlessly, I tired of all the people.
  They say that the Mainland Chinese come to spend their money here in Hong Kong. Now that a good number of Mainlanders are coming into money (legally or illegally), the  come to Hong Kong to purchase up-scale items. It seems that they always pay in cash. I am sure that the shopkeepers and big box stores are appreciative of the business.



A couple of police motorcycles screaming caught my attention and I hung around. The big event of the afternoon was a Falun Lafa (Gong) parade. Traffic was stopped appropriately while the five block entourage slowly moved down the street.
Falun Lafa is opposed to communist rule – thus, on the Mainland, it was banned with many put into prison. They carried Chinese lettered signs, with an occasional English translation. The one I remember went something like this:  “80 million Chinese killed by CCP (Chinese Communist Party.”
I couldn't leave you wondering what there was to eat in Hong Kong. You've heard of dim sum, chop suey, rice and vegetables, and noodles. This smorgasboard above might or might not tempt you: heart, liver, intestines, fish, tofu, and more (I couldn't identify the rest).

After that I was tired so I looked for the subway (Mong Kok) and headed home. Bought some spicy wasabi peas and now will sit and relax.  I will have to prepare my part for a “sermon” presentation tomorrow morning at 10 here at Holy Word Lutheran Church. I will be explaining the “Divine Plan” from Crossways International (author is Harry Wendt) and offering to some a copy of the Plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment