Friday, March 2, 2012

Note that I've had some difficulty with the chronological order. Please grant me some slack.


One more video, this time of a monthly birthday party:  http://youtu.be/Sc-xLkP6HXs . Another video, Games in the Classroom,  is found at:  http://youtu.be/JUTwTk1rD6c

Let me recap some of the highlights of March 1 (the day that my computer erased. Be assured that even though my computer erased the day, it still happened. To my knowledge, the only time a day is erased is when you cross the international date line.

+ Pastor Albert accepted my invitation to lunch after we had reviewed the message for Sunday morning at Holy Word church which meets here at LSL. I wanted to go to the “local” noodle shop right across the street, but they had no English in sight in their restaurant. The wontan noodles were great, so much so that I bought  12 wontons to bring home with me for the soup that I make. While we were there, Albert took pictures of the menu so that when we returned to the school, he could print them off and let me know what I could order. I think that now I’m all set.

+ I taught the 6th grade reading class in the morning. Along with group reading and repetition, I asked questions after we had read a section of the book. During the afternoon school hours, I looked for ways to get into classrooms (not having enough chances to interact with the students). I usually sang with them and, if they were conversational, answered a few questions.

+ Alan and Shirley had invited me to join them for an English Bible study in the evening. I traveled almost an hour to get to the right place in Kowloon. But the study gave me a chance to talk with the Piepenbrinks and also to meet Mike and Kylie. It was late when I got home, but I gain all kinds of confidence when I travel alone.

+Today, a couple more classes in the morning – reading with 5th graders. I was given a school lunch (16 HK$) – was OK – and Idy, “my boss,” brought a bowl of soup that her husband had made. Idy has made my stay really pleasant, introducing me to other teachers and really helping me get a handle on what I am to be doing here at LSL.

+ Bible class again at Holy Cross (meant a bus ride) from 3:30 to 5:00. This time I had about25 5th and 6th graders in my group. My translator was better this week, maybe got over his initial fear last week. Did the story of Adam and Eve.

FUNNY THINGS ON THE JOURNEY:

·         Judy’s wash machine has no English directions. I push buttons until it starts.

·         At the trolly tracks, signs are printed on the pavement – look to right/left – because I always look the wrong way.

·         At the bakery, one puts the money into the plastic change container and then receives the change in the same container. You don’t “hand” the money to the cashier.

·         The monitors here at school are called “prefects.” They are very active when the students stand in a line at assembly – like school cops.

·         The traffic pattern in the MRT (metro rail) is directed by signs – red X and green arrow. The signage keeps the foot traffic moving smoothly.

No comments:

Post a Comment