Tuesday, March 6, 2012

ANOTHER NEW VIDEO - this time I'm leading P3 kids in the singing and motions that go with "I'm in Love with the King."  http://youtu.be/ITT9WyIttY0

Lui Cheung Kwong Primary school has 700 students. This morning at the beginning of the school day, they all gathered in the assembly hall, standing orderly, in lines, according to classes. Some of the grade levels have up to 5 sections, some with over 30 students in a class. They are identified as P1B or P4A. In the first year of school, there is no differentiation between students in the first year, but then, in the second year, they are graded by ability, the highest level being the A group.
Morning assembly: prayer, announcements, kids telling stories on stage, my introduction and song
I was introduced in the large assembly and as my welcome I sang this song (burma shave tune): I like to smile, but never frown; My mouth turns up, but never down. Jesus loves me, it is true; And that is why I smile at you. I also spoke a few words of greeting and an appreciation for allowing me to come to their school.

The school is preparing for their 30th anniversary celebration this weekend, so vice-principal, Annie Wong, gave a pep talk to enthuse students to attend the "carnival" like activities. When she talked about the games and prizes, children expressed visible and vocal joy. Maisie (coordinating teacher) invited me (on the day they had scheduled me off) to an anniversary celebration luncheon on Thursday noon. So, I will come over for that event but spend the rest of the day at LSL.
Reading in the library (where I taught). The mask keeps from sharing germs.
What surprises me is the the children are so disciplined. Then again, they have to be if there is going to be other than chaos in the school and in the classroom. When the students stand in line, the teachers are constantly patroling their class to see that there is no talking, bags and books are placed properly to the student's left, and each student is standing "at attention" with hands behind the back. There are lines painted on the floor which can be used so that the line is straight.
Almost like the military
I am thankful that I caught the correct bus this morning. I let the first one go by because I didn't see the 44 listed on it anywhere. I guess you'd call it "gun shy." I really did not want the trip to LCK to take 1 hour and 45 minutes like it did yesterday.

The second floor of the school has a very strong smell of mildew and when I get on that floor, my body and lungs say "This is bad." But the office that they prepared for me is on the second floor and so it is where I go to rest and it's the room where I keep my things. I guess my lungs will just have to "tough it out."
I'm not certain about schools giving me money. Today Maisie brought in an envelope and explained that the school does not have any money to pay me a salary for coming here. But they did want to give me an expression of their thanks. So, an envelope that contained $400 HK was given to me (that is about $50 US). I don't come for money, and as I told Vice-principal Wong this morning, I come to be a servant to the school. I will do those kinds of things that the school would like me to do to assist in giving the best possible education to their children.
There I am right in the middle of a great P4 singing group.
Following class (my last class was cancelled and my after school  Bible reading was also cancelled due to prep time for the upcoming anniversary celebration) I was asked to do a couple of lines for a video piece that advertised the celebration (and opportunity for new students to inspect the site). Then down to Allan and Shirley's apartment for a 6 pm dinner.

Watching the gynast women train made my body ache. I don't know how they do it. P90X would never equip you for this kind of training.  Watch at  http://youtu.be/IoNHPodECvE

No comments:

Post a Comment