Friday, March 2, 2012

The Lost is Found

CHECK IT OUT!  (This is the blog that I thought I had lost.)

I've posted two new videos about life at Tsang Shing Siu Leun School (LSL for short). One is http://youtu.be/2h_k5tTDtSE and the other is found at http://youtu.be/NOJmCf6eAuw. While I'm not a professional videographer, I think that they'll give you an idea of more of the life at primary school here in Hong Kong.

March 1 is nearing an end and a busy day it was. They say that when you work with students (of all ages, I believe), you need to be flexible. I was anticipating leading some songs at the opening assembly this morning, but was informed that there would be no assembly since today was a reading day. I'd been working on this song - WITH MOTIONS- for several days now. I'm a one track person and motions and singing don't mix very well with me.
My next assignment was reading for primary six - I had been given the book The Super-Duper Seed Surprise. It was meant to give some tangible meaning to the parable of the mustard seed from the Gospel of Matthew. In talking to the teacher prior to the class, I was informed that we didn't talk about the parable, we just read the story. OK.
The class was great, the teacher said that she learned something, and I didn't have any problems with discipline. Praise the Lord!
Next was recess followed by my visit with Pastor Albert to go over the materials for the Sunday message. This brings up another challenge. The one and only powerpoint that I had of Crossway's Divine Plan was on one of my flashdrives - which suddenly blanked out last night as I was looking for the file.
MORE CHILDREN TO LOVE!
I gave Matthew (from Pittsburgh) access to work on my computer. By the time he had finished, he had recovered all of the pictures and other files, but the ONE file I needed was damaged. He recovered only 4 of the 8 powerpoint slides. Thanks to such a technical son who could work on my computer halfway around the world.







Maisie had been assigned to me two years ago on our field trip to the Wetlands Park. She came up to me a week ago and asked if I remembered her. She told me her name and said that I was her 'grandpa' at the Wetlands Park. She is now a 5th grader with quite a good grasp of English. Perhaps her English is good because her mother, Angie, also speaks English with a very good pronunciation. I will have Maisie in one of my reading classes tomorrow when I teach two primary 5 classes using the book Cooks, Cakes, and Chocolate Shakes (a book talking about yeast and adding the parable of the leaven).

After my meeting with Albert, I invited him to lunch at the noodle shop less than one block from the school. I've hesitated to go there because the menu is ALL Chinese. My won ton noodle soup was great. In fact, I ordered six won tons to take out so that I could add six to my soup tonight and six for my last pack of ramen tomorrow.

This apartment building is located right outside of the fence from LSL. Note the clothes drying on racks on the balcony - most common on any of the high rise apartments seen in Hong Kong. Then note that windows are open. I understand that windows are open to constantly let in fresh air, even when it is cold outside. You know that I have been cold in my room....Last night, I discovered that one of the windows behind the purple blinds had been open the whole time I've been here. No wonder I've had to wear my long underwear.
This sign is located on the first floor landing of the south stairwell. It speaks plainly, and the students are very careful about following these rules.

This prominently located sign near the school office and the principals office. I talks about the relationship between LSL and a Lutheran school in Horshun, Australia. In fact, some students and staff are currently visiting that school. The sign also boasts of the number of Lutheran schools around the globe. If I remember correctly, there are 24 Lutheran primary schools in Hong Kong.

This afternoon, I visited several classes to video and also to sing. The students love singing.

This evening, I met Alan and Shirley Piepenbrink at LCK and we traveled to Mike's house for a Bible study (based roughly on the book, Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren. Also in attendance was a Chinese woman named Kaylie. Home late.

Smiles are big because school's out for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment