Thursday, March 8, 2012

FOOD DAY! (Isn't that every day?)


WE COULD CALL TODAY "FOOD DAY!"

Judy left this morning at 6:30 to care for the team from South Dakota, so I have this duplex all to myself again with refrig, stove, washer, and microwave. She won't return until later on Sunday. Classy!

I had accepted a breakfast invitation with with Macy’s mom, Angie. During our conversation over oatmeal and noodles, I was able to encourage her in her faith walk. She was baptized about three years ago and is now going to take her first basic doctrine class - through a Baptist school, since the Lutherans don't have any daytime courses. That’s neat. Her daughter is such a nice child.

Alan and SandyPiepenbrink were invited to the party also. Maisie, an LCK teacher who sat between us, did most of the translating for us. Many of the teachers are quite proficient in English. I did have gifts for those of the school that I had worked with, but this was obviously not the time to share them - that would be tomorrow after the Open House festivities. English speaking is a real plus for the school.                    Enjoy the food photos (I wish you could have been there with us).
A kind of sweet bun - I was surprised that this was the first item served.
A noodle dish with mushrooms and green onions. The flavor was great. Served with a quite spicy red dipping sauce.
Vegetables and mushrooms with a few bamboo shoots thrown in for texture. A great dish.

An assortment of goodies from cake to sweet rice (yellow wrapped) to a variety of dumplings.
A soft rice outer covering with a tasty mango center.These also tasted like dessert. 
The cold boiled chicken was served with a green herb dipping sauce. Notice the head - not for comsumption.
All of the dishes were set on the central lazy susan to make it easy for our table of 12 to choose food. We also had rice with some herbal flavoring, another dish of wonderful tasting noodles, and taro root with tapioca "soup" for a dessert. Following the sumptuous meal, I returned to LCK and then headed back to LSL by the 16 passenger mini van. It is so precarious when riding that everyone must be seated when they travel. They never take more than the 16.

On a day like today with off and on rain, sometimes heavy, one needs to heed the warning of such signs as this. Marble and tile floors can be extremely slippery, and, while I've never seen anyone slip and fall, I've caught myself in precaious situations - ready to slip and fall.
I found a stand that sold many dried fruits, nuts and assorted goods. They had wasabi peas which were out of this world. I told Matthew that I would bring some back for him. The other day, Matthew, goofing around as he does, suggested that I teach this "riddle" to students: 

 "Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana." Would you have the courage to try it on a 6th grader?
Lobster with noodles. Notice in the next picture, the tool to break the claws (but it was pretty well cut up).

Pretty spicy, but tasty. I didn't get this soon enough to get the whole plate intact as it was served.
This was a nice fish dish with vegetables. We were also served another fish dish (with bones),sweet and sour pork, mushrooms and bok choy, two different chicken dishes, and a chicken soup at the beginning of the meal. Judging from the many different kinds of meat, it was a classy, and probably expensive meal.
I did ask Ms. Lam about the cost of the noon meal. The total cost for the 48 or so of us was $4000 HK - that translates out to less than $10 per person for a rather fabulous meal.

The evening meal offered more taste treats. I met Albert at the gate and we went to Ocean Walk, the shopping center that sits on top of the ferry pier terminal. Joining us were Principal John Chan, Coordinator Karen Lee, Sharon and Joanna Owens (Macau), Alan and Shirley, and Albert.

I gave my bowl gifts to Karen, Principal John, and Albert. Principal John gave me a little desk object with the word thanksgiving in Chinese. Then Sharon gave me a round embroidered wall hanging. It was a nice evening.

You'll perhaps want to look at the double decker bus videos of the trip from Tuen Mun to another central point, Tsuen Wan. http://youtu.be/CWDbV3wvWFI  and  http://youtu.be/IxZrwGMDqL4 .

No comments:

Post a Comment