Friday, March 9, 2012

BITTERSWEET

BITTERSWEET:   Sad and happy to be leaving.

Face painting at LCK's anniversary

More face painting









I'd call it a melancholy, sad to leave yet happy to return, day. At the LSL morning assembly, I had the honor to hand out awards to students for good English. Then before their unison morning prayer, they had a special prayer of thanks for me and my service at the school. I said goodbye to the teachers I worked with, and also the kids.


African culture was the focus of one of the rooms. The students did a terrific job of making the many displays.

Two of a larger dance troupe. Entertainment was the order of the day.
One room was filled with art projects that the children had done. What a creative art program they have.

Brogan and I had dinner with Tony and his family last
year in his sixth floor apartment.
I talked with Joel Scheiwe, friend and colleague of some of my China trips, and we found that we could have lunch together. Funny, when we went to lunch, he only had American dollars or a MasterCard. I told him I would be glad to pay. Went to a noodle shop. Had a great conversation - of like minds when it comes to the church and its involvement in reaching the world for Jesus.

At 2, I was at LCK for the beginning of their celebration of 30 years as a school. President Yung of the Lutheran Hong Kong Synod was present to speak. Kids did presentations, and there were booths downstairs for food. Many of the classrooms had been WONDERFULLY decked out with different areas of focus.

Had my last meal of sushi tonight. While purchasing it, I met Karen Lee who informed me that Principal Chan could not see me off tomorrow morning. She will prepay a taxi to take me to the airport, leaving here at 7:45am. Albert and Angie said they would stop by to say "Goodbye."
Many classrooms had boards with pictures and artwork. Impressive.

You can tell I was impressed with the art.
About 8 pm my phone rang, and Karen and Ken stopped by to take a couple of pictures and also to bring me a couple pieces of fancy cake.

I'm pretty well packed and ready to go.

1 comment: