Saturday, March 2, 2013

HERE AND THERE

Saturday was cold and rainy so umbrellas and light jackets were the order of the day. Hilda and Lily took Brogan and I to Liang Qichao's home and memorial hall located a one hour bus ride from the English Center. Liang lived in the early part of the 20th century, a brilliant man. The hall was in a state of remodeling, but we were able to walk through his home, office, and classroom area. I was appreciative of the way in which history is being preserved even here in China.

The bus ride to Liang's home


The huge tree outside of the home reminded me of the sycamore tree which was the viewing platform for disciple, Zacchaeus.


One of the bedrooms (now I know where they discovered their HARD beds).


The school room which would have made Confucius proud.


In the village around the school were many old buildings. Men had gathered to play cards - it looked to me like some kind of rummy.

Hilda, Lily, and Brogan positioned in front of a very old looking arch.


This lady had carried her chicken/duck feeders to the stream to wash them up. I'm sure that they got clean enough for the fowls to use them again.


We asked permission to enter this factory. To the best of our knowledge, they were taking three strings and weaving them into one. I'm sure that there is a parable for marriage there, right?


A museum piece? No way! We saw one of these ancient tractors in use as we walked to the small village that we visited.

I couldn't help myself....I just had to take a picture of this gentleman.

On the way home on the bus, this little girl sat next to me. She's three and one-half and did boldly greet me with a "hello" when she sat down.


Along the way, we purchased some dried (seasoned) lemon from this man. He proudly shared his age:  80.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment