Wednesday, March 6, 2013

WEDNESDAY IN "NON"



The day started out much the same as yesterday; shower and preparations for the day with a full breakfast on the first level of the hotel. Breakfast is good:  dumplings, scrambled eggs with green peppers, fried rice, yogurt, fresh fruit, congee (Chinese rice soup), and a few other dishes that I can’t name or can’t remember. We did get an earlier start so that hopefully we would not have to wait for 25 minutes for the bus.

 

several of the students

Off to our teaching site - a better bus this morning - interesting morning hustle and bustle all around us as we travel. Took another video (if you’d like to see videos, I took lots).



At the arrival at the school, students were already assembled and singing. I shared the “because….therefore” of the Plan. Students then shared the Plan one more time. M took over.

 

today's lunch

The afternoon was used to talk about different “sharing” methods. One thing that is really nice is that even though we don’t speak the same language, we communicate warmly with smiles and some very basic greetings. Some of the students try to talk to me in Chinese, and I’m the loser because I don’t understand. Sometimes I really wish I could speak Mandarin (and/or Cantonese).


 How sad to leave the many students and their leaders. An emotional experience (when I say that about me, it’s serious).

 

TOMORROW WE HEAD OUT INTO THE COUNTRYSIDE!! YEA!!

making steamed buns in the kitchen area


the buns will be steamed over this fire and pot of steaming water


rolling out the dough for the steamed buns


preparing chinese cabbage for the evening meal


washing hair, brushing teeth, and washing clothes


students are crowded in to rooms (couldn't look all the way in, but maybe 8 bunkbeds)


cleaning bunches of spinach


A couple of the guys in their dorm room watching a comedy show


Looks like dinner to me. The students at this school only eat vegetables. Meat is too expensive. As the driver took us to the hotel tonight, two students rode along to go to the big outdoor market to pick up whatever VERY CHEAP vegetables might be available at the end of the day.


A little boy enjoying a piece of roll. Later he gave the roll to me (I gave it back to him so that he could eat it)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment