Thursday, March 7, 2013

THURSDAY IN "NON"



What a day! Our travels took us to the country today to see the churches that one of the area “deacons” pastors. You can see each of the churches in the pictures.



But along the way, let me try to recollect a few of the images:  large expanses of winter wheat fields almost reminding me of Kansas; irrigating the wheat fields either with a garden hose kind of fine sprinkler or with a fire-hose size waterspout carried by hand; lots of trees planted along the expressway with bushes planted in the boulevard area; an eight lane highway (not many cars) with an access road on either side for bikes and cycles; piles of wheat in a family courtyard (some with chickens having the time of their life with lunch); in the middle of NON, lots of cycles riding into traffic (in our lane, no less) – this I do not understand since there are access roads for cycles); loaded to over the brim gravel trucks depositing their rocks on the highway (must be no size limits here); the shock of my life when, for the first time ever, I saw a car carrier with double rows of vehicles; and other such unique “pictures” which do not come to my memory.






Church 1 was in a very small village with a very small road going to that village (we hardly squeaked by a huge dump-truck on that road). The deacon and a group of about 8 women were there to greet us. I shared a bit about my home while they asked questions. They invited us for dinner, but we needed to head for church 2. Church 1 worships 70 (a tight fit) on Sundays. Church 2 was on an even bumpier, narrower road. But it was much newer and bigger, holding perhaps 300 for worship. A group of 20 men and women were there to greet us. The same deacon serves this church. Sharing and each of us received a small carton of milk.


Church 1


Church 1

Church 2


Church 2


Church 3 was in a larger part of the city (and access to this church was even more difficult on a rutted road through a construction area). The same deacon and about eight women met us with applause. There was some difficulty at this church (I can’t speak Chinese so I only know there was an internal issue). M spoke with the group for 45 minutes, and again before and during lunch. I do believe that it was partially resolved before we left town.

 



The meal? Well, it was something else. Fish, chicken, and pork with some great baked bread. Dishes also served were fried cabbage, cold broccoli with peppers, and a mushroom dish. I thought it was a wonderful meal. I sat back. And then they brought the noodles – a HUGE bowl for each one of us – a specialty in this area. I ate as many as I could, but only could finish half (as also the others). They were very tasty; made out of locally grown wheat (the bread too).


Tonight is free. M and I will walk around in the downtown area.


TOMORROW, WE WILL BE IN THE COUNTRY (PROBABLY WITHOUT INTERNET ACCESS).

 

Grandma sat in the back row listening to what was going on


Today's lunch (Yum)


Lunch was followed by this huge bowl of excellent tasting noodles (with cilantro)


"Hi Ho, Hi Ho, its off to work I go"


Picking up some fried bread for lunch

 

No comments:

Post a Comment