Saturday, February 9, 2013

ALL-TIME FAVORITE PICS

While the snow gently falls outside of my window, and the red coals of the fire keep inserting heat into our living space, I though that it might be fun to post some of my "all time loved" photos. So here goes:

Bamboo grows so easily in the hot, moist climate in southern China. What intrigues me are the many uses of this sturdy plant.

Kunming, China. Drums, old and new, line the loading dock outside of the factory. An original watercolor by Claire Vogler (Stevens Point) based on this picture hangs in our bedroom. It was a retirement gift.

Ypsilanti, Michigan. The late, heavy Spring snow graced these daffodils for only a part of one day. The morrow brought full grace and stature.

While these bricks are from China, I have no doubt that there is great similarity to those bricks that the Israelites made while slaves in Egypt. Clay, straw, and no doubt a bit of buffalo dung made these bricks solid.

Bright colors make Colombia a tourist attraction for plain guys like me.

The burro or donkey is a beast of burden the world over. This one happens to be part of a caravan carrying lumber somewhere in southern China. Burros recently seen work in Guatemala as substitutes for horses (for riding or for firewood).

We "stumbled on" this newly born fawn while walking in the woods at Hickory Acres (present home of Rob and Penny Selle, Poy Sippi, WI).

My heart went out to this lad who seemed to be asking for food. But, I discovered that he had just finished a big bowl of rice and vegetables.

On one of my teaching trips to Kunming through LCMS World Mission, our team was offered a Saturday trip up to a mountain village. I recall that pigs lived on the first level of the stilt houses, people lived on the second floor (even to having cooking fires there), and the food, as usual, was tasty. Here is where I asked to buy the crossbow (seen on the wall). The answer was affirmative and it now hangs above our fireplace mantle.

An old split rail fence that is located on the east property line of our Iola piece of property.

A Colombian child. Wouldn't you love to adopt her?


I'LL ADD MORE PHOTOS AS TIME GOES ON!

1 comment:

  1. There must be a mistake, I couldn't find a picture of myself. Nice pictures! National Geographic worthy!

    ReplyDelete