Monday, February 11, 2013

BIRDS, BIRDS, BIRDS

I hope you enjoy these bird pictures. It was fun snapping the shots.

Would you know it? We saw the pileated woodpecker today for the second time this winter. The male was the one who came by (as also before).
What a marvelous view! (As I was going to get a bowl of ice cream, I looked out our kitchen window and saw this beautiful sight)

I think that the pileated came because I added large amounts of suet to the feeder cage. I'm glad that last week I went to Pine River Processing (near Poy Sippi) to pick up suet.
This male downey woodpecker is a regular at our suet pole.

The female is never too far behind.

This redpoll loves the seeds. I've only seen two redpolls this winter.

This male northern cardinal expresses his true nature:  shy.

Next to the black-capped chickadees, the red-breasted nuthatches are some of the most playful birds in the woods.

I didn't want to mention it to our national symbol, but I do think a haircut would be appropriate.

One of the turkey flock forages in the woods south of our home.

The sad story of this pine siskin is that he may be dead. The salmonella has decimated our population. It seems to spread like wildfire.

I will never believe that "follow the leader" is a human invention. Looks to me like turkeys have been at it for many years already.

1 comment:

  1. That bald eagle isn't really bald, lol! We had redpolls this year, too! I've never seen them before. Great pics!

    ReplyDelete