Tuesday, February 19, 2013

IT'S STILL SNOWING

Funny, but here in Wisconsin it is still snowing. We have more than a foot on the ground! Last night, the weather forecaster said we'd have about 1/2 inch this morning. Looks like we already have about four inches. But it's nice, and the spring thaw will fill our pond.


All the while it is snowing outside, we have the opportunity to sit by our warm fire and relax or read or watch TV or play with my computer (and Karol with her smart phone). What a life of blessing.


When I'm not watching the snow, or getting wood in for the fire, or tending the fire to keep it going, I'm making a bowl or two. I got some pieces of wood from cousin Jerry Nicolaus that is really pretty. We don't know what kind it is, but it has lots of worm trails, etc. that makes it unique.  
All I did to this bowl is to add a satin varnish. The beauty lies not only in the rich color, but in the variety of "worm caves and tunnels."

If I take you to my workshop, you'd see me with an ice pick, scraping out all the sawdust residue in some of the cavities. It took me almost as much time to clean the cavities as to turn the bowl.

This is my worktable in my office. These are all of my most recent bowls. I find it very interesting to note the progression of bowls from the most simple to those that are getting larger and more diverse.




No comments:

Post a Comment